U.S. Corporate Tax

At RMI, we understand the complexities and challenges that arise when it comes to managing US tax obligations for Canadian businesses operating in the United States or those with cross-border interests.

With our team of experienced professionals and in-depth knowledge of both Canadian and US tax regulations, we are committed to providing comprehensive solutions to navigate the intricacies of US corporate taxation.

Whether you are expanding your business south of the border or require expert guidance on compliance and planning, our tailored services will ensure your tax obligations are met efficiently and effectively.

You can trust our team to streamline your US corporate tax requirements, enabling you to focus on your core business activities with peace of mind.

Cross-border corporate accountant

When are corporate taxes
due in the USA?

Although there are various U.S. corporate tax returns that could be filed with the IRS, we will focus mainly on Forms 1120 and 1120-S.
It is our recommendation to seek a professional advice from a U.S. CPA to ensure appropriate filing.

Form 1120 (C Corporation)

This form is due on the 15th day of the 4th month after the end of the corporation’s tax year. However, a corporation with a fiscal tax year ending on June 30th must file by the 15th day of the 3rd month after the end of its tax year.

Form 1120-S (S Corporation)

This form is due on the 15th day of the 3rd month after the end of the corporation’s tax year.
Additional information relating to due dates may be found in IRS Publication 509.

How to file American corporate
taxes from Canada?

The IRS provides access for company owners to file their own U.S. corporate taxes from Canada.

You can find the links to the PDF versions of Forms 1120 and 1120-S below:

Form 1120: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120.pdf
Form 1120-S: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120s.pdf

However, in order to get the most benefits, avoid penalties and any delays we suggest using a Canadian U.S. tax accountant who specializes in cross-border tax to help complete your U.S. corporate tax filing requirements.

What is U.S. – Canada Tax Treaty?

U.S. – Canada Tax Treaty is an agreement made between the two countries, USA and Canada, that avoids the resident of one country from being taxed on the same income twice.
In other words, the U.S. – Canada Tax Treaty avoids double taxation.

What documents do I need
to file U.S. corporate taxes?

In order to file your U.S. corporate taxes, you will need your corporation’s incorporation documents, the EIN number, and completed bookkeeping (this entails details of any assets, liabilities, any loans provided or given to shareholders, income, and expenses for the given year).

Upon gathering all the information you may reach out to a U.S. CPA or fill out the appropriate PDF form (links above) and submit it to the IRS.

Need help with filing your U.S. corporate taxes? RMI LLP in Calgary will get you through the process of filing American corporate taxes smoothly and effortlessly.

What to expect when working
with RMI in regards of my
U.S. Corporate Taxes?

Schedule a consultation with a member of our team, then we will go through all your paperwork and assist you in filing your American corporate tax return.

Simply call our office and ask to speak with a member of our U.S. tax team or use the form below to book your Free consultation.

Simply call our office and ask to speak with a member of our Canadian tax team.

Close Menu


Our office will be closed on August 17th and 18th, 2023 due to ongoing renovations.

You can reach our staff members via email.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get Tax Savings Tips and More