Who Should be Filing U.S. Tax Returns?

File US taxes from Canada

Share This Post

Ever wondered if you should be filing U.S. Tax Return? What actually qualifies you to file your taxes in the USA? Is it the income? The residency? Or the citizenship? 

Or all of the above? Find your answers below.

Who is a U.S. Person in term of taxation?

The U.S. Government levies income taxes on U.S. individuals based on their worldwide income. The following individuals would be considered a U.S. person for tax purposes:

  • A U.S. (naturalized) Citizen
  • A Green card Holder
  • A citizen born in the United States or outside with at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen
  • An individual who meets the U.S. Substantial Presence Test (SPT) test
  • Any other person who is not a foreign person
American Taxes Canada

Who's required to file U.S. taxes?

U.S. Citizenship rules are complex and can be intimidating.

  • Individuals born as U.S. Citizens or considered to be one under the U.S. nationality law are required to file their U.S. taxes unless the individual has renounced their U.S. Citizenship. On a side note – you are not required to have an American passport to be considered to be a U.S. Citizen.

  • Secondly, if you were born outside the U.S. and have dual citizenship, however, you have never lived in the U.S. you will still be considered a U.S. person for tax purposes and are still required to report and pay U.S. taxes until you renounce your Citizenship.

  • Thirdly, Green card holders and tax residents are required to file their U.S. taxes on their worldwide income. If as an individual you decided to move back to your country of origin or elsewhere, however, you did not surrender your Green card (even if it is expired), you will still be required to file your U.S. tax return.

Contact U.S. tax accountants in Calgary

Unsure about whether you should be filing your U.S. tax return?

Book a Free consultation with our U.S. Tax team and they will be more than happy to assist you in establishing whether you need to file your taxes with the IRS and also to actually file your taxes with the IRS.

More To Explore

Pay your taxes on time

CRA-Proof Your Tax Filing

That’s right, tax season is upon us again, Calgarians! But before you break into a cold sweat, take a deep breath and avoid unnecessary stress

Close Menu


Our office will be closed on August 17th and 18th, 2023 due to ongoing renovations.

You can reach our staff members via email.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get Tax Savings Tips and More